The products you use to care for your smile can determine the quality of your oral health. When you visit the office of Bruce W. Smith, DDS, you are welcome to ask our experienced team for recommendations on oral care products. We would be pleased to help you select the right toothbrushes and rinses for your unique health.
The products you choose should target your dental needs. When selecting a toothpaste, consider which of the following types would most benefit your oral health:
- Fluoride toothpaste helps reduce the risk of tooth decay by strengthening the tooth enamel. All toothpastes accepted by the American Dental Association contain fluoride.
- Whitening toothpastes can reduce mild stains and discoloration on the surface of your teeth for a brighter smile. If you have moderate to deep stains, however, we encourage you to speak to our dentists about our teeth whitening treatment.
- Desensitizing toothpaste contains ingredients such as strontium chloride and potassium nitrate too reduce the sensitivity of your teeth to temperature and sugary food. If you suffer from tooth sensitivity, we encourage you to schedule an oral exam, as you may have a cavity, gum disease, or a habit of aggressive brushing.
You can also select a “total care” toothpaste that contains all the above components. Your brushing and flossing routine should be followed with a thorough mouth rinse to remove any lingering food particles or bacteria. Mouth rinses are available in two categories:
- Cosmetic mouth rinses can temporarily treat bad breath and leave a pleasant taste in your mouth. However, they do not address the bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Therapeutic mouth rinses can help reduce plaque, gingivitis, bad breath, and cavities by removing any lingering traces of bacteria after you brush and floss.
You are welcome to contact our office at 713-529-4364 if you would like our assistance in choosing a mouth rinse or toothpaste in Houston, Texas. We would be delighted to help you care for your dental hygiene.